58 missing, presumed dead in London fire : London police

The official death toll from the blaze now sits at 30, up from 17 overnight, as firefighters continue the extremely hard process of recovering bodies from within the tower. About 600 people lived in the 120-apartment building. Grief over a London high-rise tower fire that killed dozens turned to outrage Friday amid reports that the materials used in a r.Protesters upset with how the British government has so far handled the aftermath continued calls Friday for greater assistance.Police said on Saturday that at least 58 people had been confirmed or were assumed to have died in this week’s blaze at the Grenfell Tower block.Two days after the fire broke out early Wednesday in the local authority-owned apartment block, firefighters were yet to access some of the floors due to worries about the stability of the structure.Moments after leaving St Clement’s Church, Downing Street announced plans for a £5million relief fund for emergency supplies, food and clothing during a meeting with survivors of the Grenfell Tower disaster.”At this stage the Met can confirm that, following initial reports from specialist investigators and experts who have examined the flat where the fire started, there is nothing to suggest the fire was started deliberately”, Metropolitan Police Commander Stuart Cundy said.He said: “I absolutely understand the frustration of why figures haven’t been released earlier”. Some 70 residents remain unaccounted for.The building had been home to a diverse group of residents, many of them from Sudan, Eritrea, and Syria. He asked anyone who was in the tower and survived to contact police immediately.The search for remains had been paused because of safety concerns but has resumed.”The response of the emergency services, NHS and the community has been heroic”. They say their complaints were ignored.To quell the mounting anger, May pledged to rehouse those who lost their homes in three weeks.The identification of the victims is proving very hard – which experts attribute to the extreme heat of the fire. This relies on dental records, fingerprints and DNA when possible and also features like tattoos or scars.Meanwhile, Queen Elizabeth II observed a minute of silence, along with her husband, Prince Philip, before the annual parade marking her official birthday.”This is an absolutely bad fire that took place”.”It is hard to escape a very somber national mood”, she said in a message marking the event.May has ordered a public inquiry into the incident and also said that the government will bear the victims’ cost of legal representation.Hundreds have been left homeless by the blaze, putting more pressure on officials in a city already plagued by a chronic housing shortage.”It was a death trap, and they knew it“, one person shouted as demonstrators surged inside the offices of the Kensington and Chelsea council, responsible for managing the social housing block in a working-class enclave of one of Britain’s richest districts.The fire at the 24-story building has led to community anger and protests over the British government’s response. Numerous displaced are living in churches and community centres.”As soon as we can, we will locate and recover loved ones”, he added.London Fire Brigade said the lines had been temporarily closed because of a “short-term risk of some debris falling onto the tracks”.Survivors of the building claimed the fatal fire resulted from a lack of maintenance to the tower.