monaco-left-back-benjamin-mendy-moves-to-manchester-city.jpg

Monaco left-back Benjamin Mendy moves to Manchester City

The arrival of the France worldwide takes City’s total spending this summer over the £200m mark.The deal took a while to complete, but City’s director of football, Txiki Begiristain, was pleased to have secured their first-choice target.They have sold left-back Aleksandar Kolarov, 31, to Roma for £4.5m.Guardiola was desperate to add Mendy to his full-back options after releasing Gael Clichy, Bacary Sagna and Pablo Zabaleta this summer, but City’s original 44.5-million pound offer was rejected. “For such a young player, he has a wealth of top-level experience”, the Spaniard said.Mendy showed last season that he is one of the better attacking fullbacks in the world, helping Monaco win Ligue 1 and advance to the semi-final of the Champions League.Mendy said: “I am absolutely delighted to be joining Manchester City”.City rivals Manchester United have splurged once again, breaking the £100m mark for both Victor Lindelöf and Romelu Lukaku, Arsenal and Chelsea have broke their own club records for Alexandre Lacazette and Álvaro Morata respectively and midfielder Yaya Touré stated that the upcoming campaign is going to be “more exciting” but also “more difficult”. Benjamin Mendy became the latest to arrive at the Etihad Stadium on Monday for a reported £49 million, joining Danilo, signed from Real Madrid for £26 million on Sunday, and Kyle Walker, a £45 million buy from Tottenham Hotspur earlier this month. “I’m sure he will prove a fantastic addition to the squad”.Head coach Leonardo Jardim has now seen Mendy, Bernardo Silva and Tiemoue Bakayoko leave in the transfer window, while the futures of Mbappe and Thomas Lemar remain unclear.The Premier League side confirmed the deal, believed to be worth in the region of £51m, from their pre-season base in Los Angeles, from where the French global left-back underwent a medical at the weekend.