arab-powers-name-qatar-linked-terror-list.jpg

Arab powers name Qatar linked terror list

Saudi Arabia, Egypt, the UAE and Bahrain announced on Monday they were cutting diplomatic ties and closing air, sea and land links with Qatar, giving Qataris within their borders two weeks to leave. Qatar said that its connection to the terror list was “baseless” and a violation of global law.It was their first joint statement since severing ties with Qatar earlier this week.The statement added that the four countries “won’t be lenient in pursuing such persons and groups, or updating the list when required”.The joint declaration said the list was the result of what it claimed were continued violations by the Qatari authorities of previous commitments and agreements, including “the commitment to not support or shelter elements or groups that threaten the security of countries”.It shows that Qatar “announces fighting terrorism on one hand and finances and supports and hosts different terrorist organisations on the other hand”, they said.It accused Doha of harbouring “terrorist and sectarian groups that aim to destabilise the region including the Muslim Brotherhood, Daesh (the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria militant group) and Al-Qaeda”.The list also names three Kuwaiti nationals, two Jordanians, two Bahrainis, an Emirati, a Saudi and a Yemeni.Thursday’s statement added the list would be updated with new individuals and organizations based in or funded by Qatar. Libya, Yemen and the Maldives followed suit.Qatar dismissed the latest move by its neighbors as “baseless allegations that has no foundation in ground”.”Now the situation in the Arabian Gulf over the last few days is troubling to the United States, the region, and to many people who are directly affected”, Tillerson said in a televised remark at the State Department.But so far there is no sign of progress.