brussels-bomber-was-moroccan-national-aged-36.jpg

Brussels bomber was Moroccan national aged 36

Belgian authorities say the man killed Tuesday during a foiled terrorist attack at a Brussels train station was a 36-year-old Moroccan native who had not been previously linked to terrorism.Investigators are treating the incident as a “terrorist attack”, said Erik Van Der Sypt, a spokesman for the federal prosecutor’s office.”This incident is considered as a terrorist attack”, Van der Sypt said.The suspected suicide bomber was shot dead after he reportedly shouted “allahu akhbar” and set off his explosive in the city’s train station.He lived in Molenbeek – the district which was home to some of the people suspected of carrying out the terror attacks in Paris and Brussels in 2015 and 2016.Michel said more security measures would be put in place for large public events like the Coldplay concert at the King Baudouin stadium later Wednesday.The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS) group claimed those attacks, which were carried out by the same cell behind the November 2016 Paris attacks that killed 130 people.Associates of those attackers, four months later, killed 32 people in their home city, including with bombs loaded on trolleys at Brussels Airport.Answering the journalists’ questions, the spokesman said that the perpetrator “wanted to cause significantly more damage”.Following the meeting, he tweeted: “We will not let ourselves be intimidated by terrorism”.Belgian soldiers shot a terror suspect after an explosion rocked the central train station in Brussels in the latest attack to hit Europe.In Paris, a day after a man with a bomb-rigged auto tried to attack gendarmes on the Champs-Elysees, the iconic shopping avenue was filled with French and foreign visitors.He entered the station and twice approached a group of around 10 passengers, the second time standing in the middle of them, prosecutors said.Although no one was hurt, billows of smoke pouring through Central Station and memories of Islamic State attacks in the city a year ago, and more recently in Britain, France and elsewhere, sent evening commuters racing for cover.Brussels’ Central Station reopened early Wednesday following a blast and an evacuation the night before, according to Belgian railway company SNCB. “The suspect was neutralised by the military that were present at the scene immediately after the explosion”, he added. “People were running away”.Belgium is now at its second highest level of security alert.The incident was a failed bombing attack, a senior Belgian counterterrorism official told CNN.