brussels-central-station-attack-suspect-identified.jpg

Brussels Central Station attack suspect identified

A man who is suspected to have set off a bomb at Brussels Central Station a day ago has been identified as a 36-year-old Moroccan, officials said on Wednesday.The male suspect was reportedly agitated, yelling about jihadists and then “Allahu akbar”, Arabic for “Allah is great”, before blowing up something on a baggage trolley.Brussels – considered the capital of the European Union – has been on high alert for more than 18 months, since Belgian-based ISIS terrorists carried out attacks in Paris that killed 130 people in November 2015, then bombed Brussels airport and the city’s metro in March a year ago, killing 32 people, as reported in The Guardian.The suspect’s home has been searched, according to the prosecutor’s office.”An individual carrying a rucksack and an explosive belt in Central Station has been shot dead”, DH quoted the prosecutor as saying.(AP Photo/Virginia Mayo). A police inspector stands at the entrance of Central Station in Brussels on Wednesday, June 21, 2017.The outcome could have been far worse, Van Der Sypt said, adding that the man’s suitcase contained nails and gas canisters.”I was having dinner with two work mates in a restaurant a few hundred metres from the train station, and we saw people running and shouting”, he told us.Van Wymersch said authorities were on the scene quickly and a person was shot. He lived in Molenbeek, the borough where several of the Isis terrorists behind the attacks in Paris and Brussels in 2015 and 2016 resided. The man, identified only by his initials, O.Z., was known to police but had no previously discovered terrorist ties, the prosecutor said.The Central Station is one of the busiest in the nation and soldiers could be seen patrolling there after the explosion.The attacker planned to carry out a bigger explosion and had a powerful explosive device, but failed to do so, Jambon added.Belgium’s Prime Minister, Charles Michel, said the attack “could have been potentially very dangerous”.The Belgian capital, home to the headquarters of North Atlantic Treaty Organisation and the European Union, has been on high alert since Brussels-based Islamic State members killed 130 people in Paris in November 2015 and then organised the attack in Brussels months later.Michel also said extra measures were being taken to secure stations, public places, and major events. Then people started to run away.Mr Jambon said the security will remain high at Brussels rain facilities, which means there is a serious and likely threat.