lovington-teen-electrocuted-by-a-cellphone.jpg

Lovington teen electrocuted by a cellphone

Madison Coe, 14, was at her father’s house in Lovington on July 9 when she plugged her cellphone charger into an extension cord while taking a bath.The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is looking into the situation, according to Lubbock Avalance-Journal.In a harrowing turn of events, the photo police released is of what would be the final text the teen would send. Evidence shows she had plugged this cellular telephone into a phone charger cord, which was plugged into an extension cord which was plugged into a non-GFCI, non-grounded bathroom wall outlet.Coe might not have known the cord was frayed, the report said. Although Madison’s cell phone was never actually in the water, officials say she touched a frayed part of the extension cord that had water in it, which was enough to cause electrocution. The family especially wants the message to reach other teens, to urge them not to use their portable electronics near water. “She was just sweet to everybody and everybody loved her”. There will be a balloon/candlelight memorial following the memorial service, 6:30 p.m.at Terra Vista Middle School for all who would like to attend.Madison was a student in the Frenship Independent School District in Wolfforth, Texas.The grieving grandmother then explained how there was a “burn mark” on Madison’s hand from where she grabbed the phone, before adding she hopes it can be a lesson to others in future.The teenager’s grandmother Donna O’Guinn said that the girl was her “shining star” and Madison was wiser than her age. “He had knocked on the door to tell her it was time to get out [of the tub] and she said, ‘OK, ‘” her mother, Angela O’Guinn-Downs, told PEOPLE.”This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else”.’We need to be aware.Her friends and families started a GoFundMe campaign to cover her medical and funeral costs.