Protests In London After The Death Of A Black Man

According to the media outlet, protesters claim that Da Costa was “brutally beaten” by police officers, as his neck was allegedly broken and other injuries were witnessed. BBC said that there have been no arrests, but some officers had suffered minor injuries.Friends and supporters Edson’s family from East Ham had earlier waved “Black Lives Matter” placards and shouted “Justice for Edson” during a protest march from the police station along Romford Road to Stratford.Four people were arrested for offences including disorder, arson and criminal damage in connection with the demonstration. His cousin Jay Gomes, 23, told the Recorder at the protest that he had suffered a broken neck and brain damage.”Rigorous investigations into the cause of Mr Da Costa’s death are continuing, including into the use of force”.In a statement, the IPCC said it made the findings public “out of concern at the rapid spread of false and potentially inflammatory information”.They have all been taken to east London police stations where they remain in custody.Borough Commander Supt Ian Larnder stood in the middle of a group of protesters trying to answer their questions and calm tensions.Some people reacted angrily, saying “you are protecting them” and “you have told us what you can’t do, now tell us what you can do” as members of the crowd pressed him about alleged police brutality.When one of the campaigners asked if the officers involved in the incident were still working, he said: “I am pretty sure they have not been suspended but removed from operational duties”.”All police officers are fully aware that they will be asked to account for their actions – officers are not exempt from the law and we would not wish to be”.The crowd arrived at the station at around 8.15pm where they were greeted by a cordon of uniformed officers at the entrance.They held a calm minute’s silence at 8.40pm with each person holding a clenched fist in the air.Reports from the scene said that bricks were thrown at police and bins were set on fire.Family campaigners said the violence was not coming from them and it had been set up as a peaceful march.Two police cars were also damaged and several street litter bins were set alight.